If you want nutrients - down your vitamins and supplements instead, a cupful of broccoli won't really add much to your daily allowances. Eating is an art, a pleasure. It is what connects us to humanity, it is a pleasurable pause in between human toil and suffering.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Say Cheese.

I always try to coincide new efforts with the coming of the new moon. It gives a more graphic perspective of where I am at a certain point, as well as a feeling of affinity, knowing a golden orb hanging somewhere in the sky can witness my travails with whatever new venture I have embarked on, crazy hag that I am. So last weekend, sore from a work out session with my new found trainer, I made a turn for the Torrance Farmers Market to check out stuff. And fell in love with cheese all over again.

So I lingered and hee hawed over the fresh organic heirloom tomatoes, the sweet peppers and the fennel shoots debating on what kind of salad I will make. Memories of Manang Abat who served me spinach and fennel with fresh baby mozzarella, olive oil and salt, in a small apartment by Leon Cavalho in Rome on one hot summer day came to mind as I poked around the shoots. It was after a long trek from the Vatican all the way to the Trentini fountain that morning. Having had a single espresso, the salad tasted sooo good. With this in mind, I bagged the veggies, cut a short trip to a Greek stand for some pita and hummus and became reconnected with greek yogurt. Giaorti kai meli – yogurt with honey – was another culinary discovery in a small tavern in a corner of the Plaka at Athens. But that is another story – nonetheless, in went a pack into my shopping bag.

There were 3 cheesemongers in the market, side by side, selling only organic California cheese. Not knowing where to go was solved when the guy from one of the stalls beckoned with his gloved hand and a smile. I moseyed on to him, easy prey that I am and he greeted me with a morsel of hard cheese with one paw. “Chipotle Cheddar. One of our best sellers. It’s handmade in a small farm in Travers and aged 60 days. Fully organic.” With that he reeled me in. I was a sucker for great stories behind each artisanal effort. Which is why I will never make a great Communist, no matter how clear thinking and logical I am always. I am always interested in what went on beyond the making of a great product.

“Do you like hard cheese? This one is made by a 23 year old in his grandfather’s dairy in Sonoma.” It was a milder version of the Reggiano – I told him after tasting it and he agreed. Then proceeded to cut a portion from another cheese – these time it had a sweeter tinge which I liked very much and we set that aside. From there we went to homegrown Brie, then to a young goat cheese smoked and wrapped in maple leaf – very mild, very little gamey flavor to it. Like a wine connoisseur he was taking me through the paces – of cheese, that is. I wish I had a bottle of Tempranillo to swish on while I went through the process. Better yet, a whole wine cellar would be better. And to hell with my cholesterol. At least I did not have to deal with toxin, this being an organic market.

And then he pulled his last piece de resistance, as he calls it. Burrata cheese – again by a young cheesemaker from the hills of Sonoma.

“Burrata is a close and very young cousin of classic Italian mozzarella. To produce it, cheese makers stretch a thin layer of fresh mozzarella curd around a pillowy blend of cream and still more mozzarella curds called stracciatelle, or "little rags" in Italian. Presto—burrata. Sweet, creamy, and delicately textured, the cheese is irresistible, or so say the chefs and diners who have made it the formaggio del giorno around the West.”

This was an online review culled to acquaint myself but my cheesemonger had a more humble appreciation – his wife loved it and he thought I would too, being a cheese lover and all that. I totally agreed – it was just as subtle as fresh mozzarella but with a more interesting texture and flavor which requires simple service – a dollop of herbed olive oil and arugula.

“A small crowd has gathered around us by this time – perhaps enjoying our pleasant exchange, eager to try as well. After 20 minutes, he wrapped my purchase of 3 slices of different cheeses and happily sent me off with a big grin and a fairly large parcel of Buratta. It was my free gift.

Who needs a shrink if you can have cheesy conversation?

No comments:

Post a Comment