If you want nutrients - down your vitamins and supplements instead, a cupful of broccoli won't really add much to your daily allowances. Eating is an art, a pleasure. It is what connects us to humanity, it is a pleasurable pause in between human toil and suffering.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

What's Smokin'

Scenic Bluffs 5 miles on the
Approach to Half Moon Bay
An afternoon trip to Half Moon Bay shares some interesting finds that somehow veer away from the usual quaint town formula of endless mediocre cafes, thrift shops selling stuff from China, wine and cheese bars.  There is a Le Creuset shop that carries some stuff not normally found in Sur La Table, and the small bakeshop with no tables, selling filtered coffee actually has decent tasting cannolis, eclairs and fruit tartes.  There is a glass gallery with pretty handblown wall sconces that would look great in a wine bar if I ever had one and I just might.  And an artist showing in a small gallery moved me, though I think the visit gave me an idea of how I would deliver my silk paintings in another media - metal.

At any rate, the visit was concluded and going back we see a succession of handcrafted signs announcing Smoked Salmon and Salmon Jerky.  Albert seemed fixated on the subject so we took a sudden turn and came across a nondescript shack painted in blue.

The Creekside Smokehouse.  The smoky flavor hits you as soon as you open the door into a cramped standing area before a glass counter showing vacuum wrapped fish and cheese and schmears.  With no expectations, we took the offered morsels dropped by the bubbly lady behind the counter on a small tissue paper on top of the glass counter.  And I was lost.

Fresh Catch of the Day - Smoked
Albacore Tuna &  Sturgeon, Hot and
Cold Smoked Salmon, Smoked Gouda 

In the intense smokiness with none of the saltiness I have tasted in various ocassions - not even Susan's find from the Pike Market in Seattle comes close to the quality of what they put out for you to taste.  After sampling all the sturgeon and the albacore tuna, and noting the subtle difference between the hot smoked and cold smoked salmon, I was putty with my credit card.

The lemon pepper salmon jerky was finished even before we hit the 280 back to Sanfo and I was left with the thought of opening the smoked gouda and of my next crafty project - smokin meat and fish.


No comments:

Post a Comment